The Battle of Upton – A short VBCW Campaign Battle

September 26, 2009 in VBCW

Harry Doyle had been holed up in the lock keepers cottage for more than a week, the BUF grip was tightening on the region. He needed to send a message to the people and workers of Worcester that the Government could be stopped. He sent a message to his local commanders they would strike a blow against the government and their Lapdogs the Auxiliary Police.

The Police station at Upton on Severn was chosen, close to Worcester to raise the spirits of the masses and close enough to his bases in Diglis to bring to bear the most workers. Concerns were raised about the Fascist Garrison at Norton but if the bridge at Upton could be held these troops could be held at bay long enough for the Station to be destroyed.

The Severn Riverside, Wharf, Labours, Federation (SRWLF) was ready to Strike.

The flying Column based at Norton had heard rumours of an attack on a local police station the problem was they did not know where.

The Police were nervous – Always the meat in the Sandwich, rumours had been rife about an attack in the local area they just hoped it would not be them. They had imposed martial law within the city and an extension of this being considered to the villages in the surrounding area.

Turn one saw the SRWLF opting for a mass attack on the village they knew the flying column was approaching but hoped to get in fast destroying the station before the militia column could deploy.

Skirting the river bank the largely untrained SRWLF were stopped in their tracks by heavy fire from the Bridge detail’s heavy Machine gun, the gunner despite being wounded in both the arm and leg killed several members of the advancing SRWLF and drove the rest from the field, a major set back for the Marxists.

Elsewhere the Marxists pushed towards to the station under harassing fire from the Police Officers within, the SRWLF limited number of LMGs were able to keep the Police suppressed long enough for them to reach the outer barrack building.

Time was running out for the SRWLF the militia unopposed had crossed the river and were debusing within the village, the first section secured the bridge and pushed through the village.

Whilst the second section drove hard for the Police station whose occupants were on the verge of fleeing their posts.

The SRWLF forced the police to break and flee the table, they pushed across the car park to force entry to the station only to find their path blocked by the advancing militia, a furious firefight erupted leaving several SRWLF men killed.

One member of the Wharf men headed inside the station and was able to start a small fire but with militia men swarming all over the station victory was short lived for the Marxists.

Harry would have to find another way of striking a blow for the workers of Worcester…

My thanks to Paul, Mark, Dane & Son a cracking game with more to follow.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to toolbar